Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Ahn Neyong Ha Seyo! ~ Memoirs of Korea

Was flipping through my photo album and suddenly realized that I have actually traveled to many places in the last 2 years, but I have yet to `story’ anyone either on my travel tales or via pictures! (you will see from the date of the photos, there were taken some time back! Haha.. )

So shall now attempt to rectify that. :p Some of the photos are really interesting, so would be kinda a shame not to post them…

I was there for 1 week sometime in late 2005. Was there for an official function. However, after a few days of being `locked in’, was feeling pretty restless and finally ventured out to have a look at the city, Seoul.

Although traffic itself in Seoul is pretty horrendous, fortunately, the city has an excellent public transport system, in its subway system, and also, the hotel concierge was extremely helpful (i.e. writing little cards of directions in Korean for the non English speaking taxi drivers), I was pleasantly surprise to discover that it was relatively easy to move around.

On my walks in the business district, found the foodstall below, at the five-foot way of a busy street! Bbq sausages and also all kinds of meat products. Sure looks yummy!


at nightfall, ventured into one of Seoul’s famous night market, Nam Dae Mun. There were all kinds of different merchandise on sale, from clothes, to foodstuffs to lingerie.
Giant mushrooms seemed to be one of the more popular items on sale, and yes, the infamous Korean ginseng as well.


If one is to walk along the smaller alleys, one can really find and get to savour the `real’ taste of Korean cuisine – the local food. And that was exactly what I did. Saw a few variety of dishes/noodles, but guess what I ended up eating?

Ended up tasting one of the weirdest dish of my life…- Beef spinal cord soup! (sorry..can’t find the pix).. Hahah… didn’t know what it was at first but saw lots of locals relishing the dish. But finally, together with two doctor friends, managed to confirm it as spinal cord! Surprisingly…it really did taste good! :D

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love your food pictures! You should give me some tips on how to take food pictures. Mine always end up distorted - and it's no fault of the chef!

Anonymous said...

Hey babe! You are good!Almost 2 years back but you can still remember the details!! The only thing I can remember about Seoul was I ate a lot of food (as asual...:D) & the shopping! Bought a lot of small dresses for Amelie too:). Enjoyed reading your blog, babe - keep more coming!

Another suitcase in another hall?

Its a rainy Sunday afternoon here in Brussels. I am sitting in my living room here, with 4 open suitcases in the hallway, and trying to so...