Sunday, December 13, 2009

Majestic-al experience

Some time ago, I had the chance to travel to Malacca for work, and as we were holding our function in the Majestic Hotel, I decided to stay and experience the Peranakan experience that was so widely promoted in the hotel website and brochures.

I was pleasantly surprised when I arrived at the hotel, not to find a tall building, but rather a quaint little mansion, in a narrow little street. I had driven down from KL, and it had taken me slightly more than 2 hours, it was mid-day, and grumpy as I was, was glad that though the hotel was rather hidden away from the main street, still, it wasnt difficult to find.

A different world welcomed me, upon stepping into the cool reception area of the hotel. The receptionists were all prettily dressed in nyonya kebayas, and they were very quick to recognise me by name (even though I wasnt registered yet!). This could likely be due to this being a boutique hotel, hence there weren't that many guests staying in, at any one time. I was also very pleasantly surprised that at the reception, instead of mints, they serve the brown coconut sweets, which was a very popular sweets of yesteryears but not so common nowadays. Nice!

There are only 50 odd rooms in this colonical styled mansion, but within the premises, everywhere one can see very tastefully designed interiors, and furnitures. Elegant and traditional.

This is what my room looked like.


Really comfy ! what's best about the room, is the bed! The mattress is suitably hard, sturdy, unlike the lumpy mattresses normally found in other local hotels. I was also very amused to find a bolster! just like my childhood days, the bolster is suppose to be the teddy bear for Asian children, to hug at night so as to feel more safe and secure. It is therefore a very thoughtful gesture of the hotel to include a bolster for the comfort of their guests. I, for one, simply find it irresistible, and couldnt resist hugging it whenever I'm back in the room. :)

The room itself is very spacious, and aside aircon, there is also a ceiling fan, should one choose not to use the aircon at night. The old world charm coupled with these modernity, really adds to making the guest feel cosy, and very at home. Love the wooden flooring as well.

The bathroom is simply so elegant and luxurious.. :) The bathtube has legs, just like old time. Though upon knocking, was kinda disappointed that it wasnt porcelain. The bathroom opens up into the room, and can be closed by the sliding wooden partitions. Hence, one can choose whichever level of privacy (or not).

.

Paying attention even to the little details, the hotel has also included a copy of the famous book on Nyonya kebayas, which I enjoyed reading during my stay. All these are in tune to the Peranakan culture that the hotel seeks to promote.

This is truly an experiential hotel stay! needless to say, I thoroughly enjoyed this majestic-al sojourn, and would certainly want to come back for more in near future.

1 comment:

stephers said...

Nice review! I shall keep this hotel in mind for my Malaccan travels. :)

Another suitcase in another hall?

Its a rainy Sunday afternoon here in Brussels. I am sitting in my living room here, with 4 open suitcases in the hallway, and trying to so...